Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Chanel 2.55

It's a cake!

Big boss ordered this for his wife who must be fan of Chanel. Though he bought her the real one, perhaps it is nice to have a Chanel birthday cake as well. It was exciting getting this order because I know I will enjoy myself making this, plus, it's a good picture gallery collection.

The only "misfortune", if I may call it, was the delivery date has been changed one day earlier, only got to know on Monday, for delivery for Wednesday. Due to this, I had to get the decorating completed all in one night! Spent 10 hours on this excluding baking time.




I don't think I've done the Chanel logo properly. Hey, I've not had a real Chanel so I don't have anything to examine in order to figure out the mechanism. Best I could do from referring to picture. :p The gold metal colour is also not quite close. When I went to ICCA in Kota Damansara the other day, the retail staff couldn't tell me which gold colour I should get. Should have asked Swee San before I went. Ohh... before I forget, a BIG thanks to Swee San for the tips of constructing a Chanel.

The quilting or imprinting of the bag was not that difficult, I quite like the outcome, it looks exactly like the picture I've printed from Google. The measurements might not be accurate since I do not have actual size template. I was wanting to get the 3-in-1 roller which Swee San mentioned and has but it is not available in any of the ICCAs, so I settled with using the one tailors use. Special thanks to Aunt Elvy for getting it for me.




Last to be made was the straps which were not that great I'd to say. I started making these straps at 2am and my firs strap snapped into 2 when I started transforming it onto the cake. I think the weaving of the metal strap took a bit too long so the strap has dried off and harden. Since it was much more detail and with more weaving, the strap was rather heavy hence causing the breakage. After that, since it was 2am, I thought I had to use "safe" method if I want to complete this and have it delivered - thicker strap and metal strap with fewer repetition.

Of course then the result was not perfect. I had originally planned to put the strap at the top away from the bag, but last minute thought that the frontage of bag looks a bit plain, and there wasn't that much space at the top of the cake board. Besides, piling the straps all together will hinder the painting of the metal straps :P.


Very customized message from the customer himself. Made a pieces of fondant for him to write this message himself with a food grade pen. A little cupcake with black ribbon for the candle.



Specially transformed the cake box into a "Chanel box". I had to recruit third party assistance to do this, really didn't have time. Madalyn (cousin sis) did a very good job, she spent 2 hours doing this makeover!

The handbag was personally delivered by husband to wife, how sweet right? ;) Too bad wife was not around so no feedback on reaction. At least, I don't think I need to worry about the cake not being delicious even though the bag doesn't look that real.

Inside this bag - TeaRoom milk chocolate cake - rich moist chocolate cake with milk chocolate icing, infused with a light note of coffee.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i really like this cake.. and i also very satisfied i make the box...

Bel Jee said...

Yes mei mei (I assume this is who you are) good job on the box.

I've got a very motivating message from birthday girl saying that it was her most amazing birthday cake ever. (What a relief!)

MasterChef said...

Yup.. amazing... i also want a handbag cake!

Bel Jee said...

Erm... so MasterChef, which handbag do you want actually??

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin